Monday, July 29, 2013

Auf Wiedersehen, Bregenz!


Saturday was monumental: my last in Bregenz. As cliché as it sounds, it is hard to believe I have been here a month already. In some ways it seems I was still getting used to this little town, but then I think back to that first day of getting lost, when everything was new and the town seemed rather large, and I realize just how much has changed in four weeks. I know most of the (cheap) restaurants in town, I know all of the employees at our favorite gelato shop, the Pfänder and der Bodensee are no longer foreign words to me. I have now tasted Döner, banana milk, Voralberg Trink Joghurt, real Wiener Schnitzel, and authentic Käse Spatzle and can (mostly) pronounce them all in German. My favorite water is from the fountain on the main square, I know about the shortcut through the cemetery, and I know that the grocery stores all close at 5pm on Saturdays.


I have only tapped the surface in understanding the people here and how they differ from Americans. I know that trash cans are hard to find, that olives and salami are breakfast mainstays, mountain-climbing is a common family activity, changing out of your Speedo on the beach is not taboo, and they are as in tune with American pop culture as we are.


Last night we had a dinner for all of the students from MSU and their Austrian host families. I sat with my host sister, Cheyenne, and her friend Emily. Our food took two hours to arrive (not a typical Austrian experience), which left us plenty of time to discuss Austrian and American culture.  These girls are enthralled with American culture, and their English puts me to shame. We discussed, among other things: American politics (Obama is generally admired in Europe), religion (much of the younger generation does not go to church because they feel it is too traditional and formal), and education (they were required to study English from a young age, and have also studied Latin, French, and Spanish). It was interesting to hear their impressions of Americans and what they had learned in school about American culture and tell about our families, plans, and lives.

Last night in Bregenz: Cheyenne and I

One thing I have loved most about traveling is the people. The buildings are impressive, the food is fabulous, the scenery is gorgeous, but after a lot of sightseeing I love to just sit and watch the people. These cities are packed with such a wide diversity, and each one has a story, a language, habits, opinions.  It makes me wonder how we ever get bored, when we are surrounded with such an array of people in our daily lives, no two the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment